homestead - Re: [Homestead] Why I am always so jealous of the rich

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Why I am always so jealous of the rich
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:06:45 -0700

On Jan 6, 2009, at 10:40 AM, bobf wrote:

Mwerckle committing siuicde is no different that a coal miner in southern Arizona or in Appalacia killing himself over gambling debts or job loss.
Expect to see more suicides..........................

Bob, this is far different. The point is that more money does not equate to more happiness. With all Merckle's money, he could not buy happiness. Furthermore, his perception of happiness was having lots of money. But worst, apparently his personal image was that only if he kept making lots of money was he then worthy of life.

In my recent review of The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World, by Eric Weiner, I wrote:
We learn that money wealth gives but a small edge. America is the richest country the world has ever known, yet our self-help bookshelves sag. As poet-laureate, Charles Simic, noted in a recent interview: "It's an industry. It's really frightening. People need to read a book on how to be happy? It's completely an American thing."