homestead - [Homestead] Why I am always so jealous of the rich

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Why I am always so jealous of the rich
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:24:39 EST

In viewing my cash modest lifestyle, there have actually been some pitious
souls who have opined that anyone who lives like this only does so because
they
can't manage to be rich.

Most of the wealthy people I have known have been miserable. Moreover, the
belief that money will make you happy is so fundamental to their thinking,
their attitude has been that since they are wealthy and it hasn't made them
happy,
then without even THAT much wealth, I must be in the utter throws of poverty.

Then there is this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/German-tycoon-Adolf-Merckle-rb-13978189.html

A few years ago was a story comparing two rice farmers, one in Japan and one
in Louisiana. The Louisiana man farmed over ten thousand acres of rice and
the
Japanese man farmed one half acre. The Japanese family was holding a great
celebration as the son of the family came of age and would be taking charge
of
the family farm and rice business as a great family triumph. The Louisiana
man and his son had just committed suicide because of the pressures and
prospects of running the family farm operation.

James