homestead - [Homestead] Homesteading

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homesteading
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:24:04 -0700

On Jan 4, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

James,would it be more like homestead beef if I were to trade my extra beef
raised, of course, on surplus grass, for honey or maple syrup or other
such? You really seem to be stretching here.

Cathy, the distinction I make, and it is not always a popular one, is that if
one goes about on a small farm to raise some farm product with the full
intent of not using it themselves (or all of it themselves) and instead raise it
with the full intention of selling it for cash, that is a business and in my
parlance it is not a function of a homestead.

We revisit the definition of homesteading here fairly often. I guess we are fascinated with our unique selves, we people who are often more than a bit outside the mainstream. Each of us has our own thoughts on the subject and each of us define ourselves, just as each of us have unique backgrounds, philosophies, life plans, and changing views on more than a few things.

Carla Emery knew thousands of people who call themselves homesteaders. She met them mostly when she was traveling around the country giving talks and selling the nine editions of her wonderful book. Here are Carla's thoughts on the meaning and conditions of homesteading:

http://www.carlaemery.com/homesteading.htm