homestead - Re: [Homestead] Corn Fed Beef

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Corn Fed Beef
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:31:02 -0500

The renaissance of grass-fed beef has sparked a concurrent exploration of
how to give cattle the quality of nutrition on pasture that lets them grow
to their potential. Argentina has led the way with cattle, and New Zealand
with sheep. Allen Nation, who publishes "The Stockman Grass Farmer," has
been preaching to American farmers. But high-energy grass-fed is not
trivial, and it takes a set of skills most stockmen haven't ever tried.

But it isn't necessary to do it perfectly. My pastures are good, but not up to "Stockman Grassfarmer" standards; I don't overseed, irrigate, fertilize (beyond what the cows and sheep do) or even lime; I just take what grows. My rotational grazing is rather sloppily done and by no means 'intensive'. I butcher at 18 months or so, and the meat is lean and tender. I make a good bit of money per animal with very little input, and everyone is happy with the end result.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA