homestead - [Homestead] Chicken Egg Prices

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chicken Egg Prices
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:23:15 -0800

I charge $5 retail, $3.60 wholesale for Extra Large eggs (we sell ungraded,
Large, Extra Large and Jumbo), which cost me about $2 (not counting labor).
Last year, we didn't start enough pullets to keep production steady, and
we've been chronically short. I'm designing an improved rat-proof brooder
shed for the chicks to eliminate the problems we've had.

We've made it a policy to charge no less than the most expensive eggs in the
store because, frankly, our eggs are that much better. Norton Creek Farm was
one of the participants in the Mother Earth News free-range egg test.

Karen Black
Norton Creek Farm
Blodgett, OR