homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unbelievable

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unbelievable
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:00:21 -0800

There are several of them on Amazon. There seems to be a group of folks out there in cyberland that are the "sucker born every minute" type who somehow think that the big price means something special. They buy strickly related to price. When youngest and I were selling on Amazon (what a headache!), we used to see that all the time and decided to see what would happen if we put an outrageous price on a book that hadn't been selling. Sold it in two days. We sent the lady an e-mail saying we had decided not to sell the book. I mean, we felt really guilty about the price. She wrote back offering us more money. We said no again, that we didn't feel the book was worth that kind of money and she wrote back again and offered us twice what we were asking. She was getting downright hysterical and so we told her we were going out of business and that we would give her the sale price (50% off). She grabbed it. That was still 10 times our original price that the book didn't sell at!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Paul, I can understand that sort of game and "logic." But, almost
twenty times the original edition price? It is difficult for me to
understand such a stretch.

Actually, judging on volume of responses to their service, this is a
very substantial seller.

I am writing it off as one of those anomalies of life that are
unexplainable.