homestead - Re: [Homestead] pictures

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, "" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pictures
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:04:39 +0000

Hi Bob,

The rock stacks are not all in the same place. The one where the barn once
stood is not a steep spot, but a fairly level spot. I suspect it was from
around the late 1800's. any number of things could have made it fall, but the
most likely reason is the neighbor's cows that used to range on the place
until we bought it. they are a destructive force, knocking over and trampling
everything that was in their path. i lost a lot of windows, tables, and other
things i'd brought up here before moving until i figured out what was
happening. Oh, and the whole barns weren't made of rock, only the foundation.
The scattered rock walls are leftovers from where fields were cleared to grow
grass for livestock. This was once a working farm, but has gotten overgrown
over the years of non-farm use. Now it is classed as 'timber'. When I can
find someone to come bush-hog, the fields are going to be cleared of most of
the cedars, except for the cedar grove below the pond. That ground feels
sacred and I'm going to leave it alone.

The fence we're working on is in a steep spot because that's where the horses
were going to get out and onto the logging road that runs up behind our
house. When it's time for me to ride Commanche, I sure won't feel bad about
expecting him to climb some rugged hills. He's been getting out and going up
the mountain a few miles away to another mountaintop field. VERY rough hiking
for 2-leggeds!

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)