homestead - [Homestead] Propery taxes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Propery taxes
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 06:19:42 -0700

On Dec 31, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Leslie wrote:

Real estate taxes will rise, and likely rise faster proportionately than wages. It is so important to understand that what the Fed is doing by expanding the money supply - is a hidden tax - is is the cause of inflation. As local, state & federal governments pay more money as prices and wages inflate - they tax more. Although, we may be entering a new era where instead of taxing more the Fed just prints more and more money and gives it to the states to make up the budget deficits if real estate taxes aren't increased.

While the laws are a tad different from State to State - state's do put tax liens on property for unpaid real estate tax - and in some states (maybe all - I'd have to brush up on that) - after X number of years of non-payment - the property winds up on the auction steps of the courthouse. . . . If the taxman cometh and taketh the land for non-payment or under payment of real estate tax - there's no way to homestead.

Leslie, unless someone chose property in the wrong place, property tax is almost a non-issue for homesteaders. The feds do not determine property tax. That is the domain of the state and, primarily, the local county, for schools, roads and law enforcement services. The best homestead land is unsurprisingly in low-tax counties.

I had occasion to enclose a note with our recent tax check. Here is the note I sent:
December 14, 2008

Dear Tax Collector Bill,

Enclosed is full payment of property taxes on the acreage and shack my wife and I call Heartwood, our beloved Ozark County home, so-called because our hearts are here and this part of the world is in fact a great wood.

Over the years the tax bill has been flirting with the one-hundred- dollar figure and I see we are now perilously close to that figure. Oops! The bill is incorrect! Egads!

Alas, the travel trailer listed on your bill is not my property. It belongs to a friend who enjoys our salubrious summers so much that he travels a great distance to spend a few months with us each year. As you have the more intimate relationship, I suggest that you confer with our esteemed Assessor and propose that future field personnel be instructed to note license plates on such vehicles. Had this procedure been followed it would have been noted that the trailer’s home base is California.

Now, knowing how we need all the tax revenue we can muster, if you see any plausible way it can be legally accomplished, I will plead with the owner of the travel trailer to license it here in Ozark County. Please advise.

Bill, I trust you will agree that Ozark County should now pay me interest on this overcharge of $5.49. Considering the current sad state of our economy I figure a fair interest rate to be only five percent. I’m not good at higher math but I believe the monthly interest charge should be 2.28 cents per month. And of course, in keeping with our tax collection rules, there must be a late penalty added until paid. I expect you have the high-tech equipment to calculate how much that should be.

In the interest of minimizing costs to the county to correct this egregious error, please apply the full rebate to next year’s tax bill.

Thanking you in advance for your kind attention to this pressing matter, I remain,

Respectfully yours,

Gene GeRue

  • [Homestead] Propery taxes, Gene GeRue, 01/01/2009