homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Dr. Dr. Give me some news, now bad behavior in the medical field

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Dr. Dr. Give me some news, now bad behavior in the medical field
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:24:36 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:

In almost all states the optometrist/ophthalmologist must provide youwith your prescription and the optician you last saw must provideyou with the physical measurements needed for visual corrections ONYOUR REQUEST.
You can also get someone else to make them; they are simple measurements, not
rocket science. Here's what I did, in Maine, but doesn't matter the state
The measurements you need are not normally part of the script. Go back and re-read what I wrote before, Bev, about how to proceed.
Apparently, an ophthalmologist only has to provide the prescription and
not the measurements. An optometrist would have to do both.

No. The *optometrist* can examine/assess the physical characteristics of the eye and write scripts for corrective lenses. He can only treat physical issues of the eye, say prescribe exercises for 'lazy eye', etc, but cannot prescribe for diseases of the eye, and while many of them are quite knowlegable, technically is not supposed to diagnose disease, either, but is to refer that on to an ophthalmologist. The *ophthalmologist* can do all that plus examine for and assess disease processes of the eye and surrounding structures and write scripts for corrections, as well as is allowed to treat diseases of the eye (surgery, medication regimes, etc). The *optician*'s only function is to fit and make eyeglasses/other eye-related correctives. So he measures for frames, grinds and installs lenses, etc. I used to remember that junk in the beginning this way: shortest name, least work/responsibility, thru the middle, to the longest name, most work, etc...

So Bev, the optician is the one who has those measurements, not the optometrist. Just call the optician as above (they are sometimes a part of an optometrist or opthalmology office but the records you in most states have to by law be kept by the optician, the outfit that fits you for and makes up the glasses. Those measurements, short of surgery on the scull or something, don't change, so just call the last one you used.
And like I said before, you don't even have to have get those measurements from the optician if you don't want to fool with it; Ron can do them. If you have the script in hand you have all you really have to have from them, and it sounds like you do, just call Zenni's 800 number and they will walk you through it on the phone; they've successfully walked our MR clients through it for a couple of years now; I'm sure they can handle folks like us too :-)
I think I told you Rae took two pairs of her clients' Zenni glasses to be checked for accuracy and they were right on. I didn't have mine checked ($$) but they certainly seem fine.

SJ