homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:39:32 -0500

Rebecca Lewinski wrote:
I just missed getting an old narrow two burner woodstove in the fall, it was an "apartment model" all in white enamel (I'm sure the old-timey general store catalogs have similar ones). I got to the thrift store a few minutes too late to snag it, dang. I think I'd rather have one of those over a Four-Dog, though I like the idea of portability.
This is the sort that came to my mind. In this area they are called 'end burners', but when I ran a search on that term didn't get much of anything. I'd hazard a guess that the name comes from the fact that they are invariably placed at the end of a cabinet....a lot of them here have been converted to oil by putting a burner in the firebox, but many are in use for a fast morning fire before chores, while the big stove is still heating up. Don't know any other name for them.

But the thing about them is that they are more or less the right height to cook on, so one's not all bent over the bacon (which might not be too bad, I guess, but neither are you bent over the boiling cabbage....) Might be, if you wanted to take a jaunt to your surrounding Amish communities you'd find one.

They are not available new here, though, unless it might be someone could order one. I just made the rounds of stove places in 3 counties the past few weeks looking for a part for an old Jotul, and didn't see one anywhere (kind of have my eyes open for one myself).

SusanJane, where the temp is low and the wind bitter