homestead - [Homestead] of wood stoves and pumpkin seeds

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] of wood stoves and pumpkin seeds
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:11:07 -0800

jsut popping in for a minute...

Gene, have you thought about the Four-Dog stove brand? They're a portable
woodstove, they come in Two-, Three-, Four-, and Five-Dog models. The
smallest is 11x11x18, the largest is 15x15x26 (and you can get a water jacket
for each model, which is nice). They don't have a cooking plate on top, but
they're designed with a sweet spot on the top that is good for heating things.

I just missed getting an old narrow two burner woodstove in the fall, it was
an "apartment model" all in white enamel (I'm sure the old-timey general
store catalogs have similar ones). I got to the thrift store a few minutes
too late to snag it, dang. I think I'd rather have one of those over a
Four-Dog, though I like the idea of portability.

Keith, on pumpkin seeds: did you scrape the seeds out along with the string?
That makes it harder to get the seeds loose. If the pumpkin isn't being
used for a jack-o-lantern, quarter it first and then use your fingers to comb
the seeds free from the strings--you'll find the seeds grouped in sections
(kind of like fish roe). I find that doing it this way, the strings stay
stuck to the pumpkin instead of to the seeds. Easy enough to scrape the
strings from the pumpkin sections later (NICE tip about the can lid, by the
way).

Bev, I'm so sorry to hear your health has taken another twist. Hopefully
you've got it all the run now...

well, I have to get brave and slither out on the roads to get my mom her
medications. Snow is deep here for us (20 inches), and is sticking around
which is unusual for here. We're supposed to get high winds and lots more
snow tomorrow, so today is my errand day. Snow is usually here for a few
hours to maybe three days, but not this time around. We're into a full week
now with at least another full week of snow flurries to go. But hey, the low
temps mean a reduced population of fleas and other pests next spring, so it's
all good, I suppose.

have a good holiday and solstice!

-Rebecca in the Great Northwest