homestead - Re: [Homestead] Amish and heart disease

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Amish and heart disease
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:47:45 -0800

Bob, I suppose you might get away with calling Australia a "western" country but the longest lived people are "eastern" as you termed it. #1 being those living on the Amami Islands in Japan (women 87+ years).

The only two countries in the top 20 that don't have a diet that is Eastern, Mediterranean or European are Canada and Australia.

And, I'd beg to differ about the cigarettes and booze. I mean, have you checked the amount of booze per person say for example that Icelanders drink? Cigarettes and the Eastern cultures? Spain, Ireland, the UK, Switzerland, Australia, etc., all have higher alcohol consumption than the U.S. and have greater life expectancy.

Bottomline, the real difference is diet.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Is western disease better or wotse than eastern disease? Click on the link, you will find most western countries near the top for life expectancy, and most of the ones near the bottom are not western. I am not arguing, just pointing at the other side. I still think like Marie or someone else said a week or two ago that a few simple things cause 'most' of the really bad health issues in the west, tobacco and booze, and then a combination of immoderate eating and sedentary lives, but Marie could be wrong , too.............