homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading as an Economic Basis

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading as an Economic Basis
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:35:28 -0500

bob ford wrote:

If those three things are threatened, we are thereby, as we used to say, grabbed by the short hairs. We are in distress immediately and
we will expend whatever reserves we have or agree to go into slavery
... eh ... I mean debt ... to relieve us of that distress.

****** james, you know that I have been trying to understand this part of your economic philosophy, which is shared by many in other communities. But, I keep coming back to the idea, that if we live in
an economy that it based on debt; why would we should to participate
in that economy without using debt. Now, I've said before that I have remained debt-free for almost all of my life. I have only used
very short-term debt as leverage.

Bob, speaking for myself, debt is like the chains of slavery. It takes
away my freedom. Perhaps since you have only had short term debt and
are generally debt free, you do not feel this oppression? I recently
rec'd my own bailout of sorts. I received a truck as a gift. I am
still reeling. For me that is a HUGE weight off my shoulders because
that means I probably won't have to have a car payment for the next
10-15 years if I am lucky...I am still, almost two weeks after the gift,
coming to terms with what that freedom means for me in the coming years.
It takes away so many worries.
Anyway, when I am in debt, I feel like I am underwater...I can see the
surface above me, but can't get up there to get a breath. So, I live
within that economy based on debt, and I long, more than long, gasp for
the freedom that being debt free allows.

Bev
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda