homestead - [Homestead] acquired tastes; was: apologies

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] acquired tastes; was: apologies
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:10:38 -0800

you guys overwhelmed my inbox over the last week, so I deleted most
everything and started fresh! But I did catch Leslie's pig story and how the
old boy tasted. Maybe someone here knows what to feed a pig to make it
tasty? They can be nassssty.

Traveling years ago through Italy, the spouse bought what he considered a
treat - prosciutto made with wild boar meat (hunting is very popular there).
Couldn't beat the setting, it was one of those achingly romantic little
walled towns, and of all things, the public square we had chosen to picnic in
was the setting for a fashion shoot for wedding apparrel. Spouse lovingly
poured out some wine, then slathered some sort of soft cheese on crispbread,
decking it with some of the prosciutto which he declared to be the best he'd
ever tasted. I took the proffered treat, smiled into his eyes, chomped down
on the snack...
...and it was everything I could do not to spit it back out. Damn meat was
as close to licking a smelly armpit as I ever wish to get. Absolutely pure
noxious b.o. in taste.

Good thing there was a whole bottle of wine to go through, it took a few
glasses to wash the taste out. Spouse was seriously disappointed in me (not
the first or the last time), but then again he did get to have the whole slab
of meat to himself.

off to go bring what's left of my tomatoes in and move my potted galangal
into the garage (can't get galangal around here unless you grow it--I have a
potted kaffir lime tree too. We like Thai flavors in our food). I had hoped
to goose the tomatoes along under their plastic tent through Christmas, but
even with water jugs placed under the tent, I don't think I can keep them
from cold damage. The temp's set to drop into the low 20s over the next few
days, along with some pretty brisk winds.

In case I don't get back online for awhile, happy Solstice (yay-longer days
soon) and happy holidays to all

-Rebecca in the great Northwest