homestead - Re: [Homestead] Depression first?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Depression first?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 18:28:08 -0800 (PST)

Why am I so interested in what?  The economy in general?  Or a specific?

I think in part, I've just become addicted to figuring out how it works. The
internet is wonderful - a library to the whole world right at my
fingertips...  Been following this stuff for many years.  It all started
w/Rand, and then Howard Ruff, who you've probably heard, of some 30 years
ago.... and then in the O.R. when the docs used to try to bring me out of my
shell (I rarely spoke, imagine that) and started teaching me world economic
stuff and asking my opinion on if I would go long or short the S&Ps...  I
made them money somehow,,, (seriously picked numbers out of my ass.... as I
had no clue what they were talking about.... buy 5, sell 3, buy 10, sell them
all, short 6 --- wild wild guesses, and I didn't know what kind of money they
were plunking down then....) and got a great bonus....

Actually, Ruff proposed something back then that I thought was excellent
advice - I was probably all of 21 years old back then.  He promoted having 1
year supplies on hand for emergencies (loss of job, illness, natural
disaster, etc), plus 1 year of gold/silver, especially used silver bags of
coins, which are still lender tender.  His advise on 1 year of supplies
(food, etc) actually got me thru H. Andrew.  We were buildilng a home, and
had used up the last of our savings when that thing hit.  Our businesses were
destroyed too.  Those food and other supplies,,, what a life saver.  I've
never forgotten the importance of being prepared that way.

Anyway, I already knew about backwardation in the futures markets, but not in
the context of gold, not in the larger sense that is implied with gold.  I
already knew about the physical shortages, the black market prices, etc.  And
just never thought about the implications in the futures market..... hence my
first immediate thought about fiat asset (futures) vs real asset
(physical),,,,, it is the fiat asset that is being destroyed, not the
physical.... the paper "tree forest" is burning,,, not the yellowstone
ground.... LOL.

Oh,,,,,,,,,,, the next monkey wrench for Mr. Bernanke.... is
oil............... if the Fed PPT started the rollover in July and triggered
the snowball down,,,, there is one thing they can not likely control much...
and that is the oil companies yanking their straws out of the ground if they
can not make a profit.  So that needs to be stuck back into the inflation
equation.  Can you imagine oil in permanent backwardation?

Ok, well on the balance of injecting liquidity / Friedman.  I doubt Friedman
would like that hockey stick look on M1.  So is that line of thinking more
along the lines of Keynes?

I haven't read much of Keynes, but I did grasp a few things, as reading that
stuff is slow going for me, as I have to figure out the terms as I go along.
Maybe that will be my new years resolution this year, to finally finish the
book.

Market bottom... yes it could be, isn't there an article in the WSJ today
along those lines?  I don't think so yet.... I'd watch 3 mo. Treasury yields.
Besides Tim Woods cycle stuff, which is really decent.... I watch a weekly
chart for some other markers, as I find it hard to believe we'd end in a V
bottom.  I just seriously doubt that the banks or big boys are just going to
wake up and tell everyone the bottom is in, and buy buy buy.  I suspect they
will nibble in slowly and not chase up - in the event and rallies are just
another bear market rally.  Actually there are a number of things I would
watch on a chart to give clues that big money is sneaking back in "low", even
if shorter term,,, and then other things after for "the" low.

Cramer - what a character.  I think he should be banned from the air
personally.  However, from time to time, he does tell some things about how
wall street work, how wall street uses the media (so I would include him) to
put out agendas and rumors that benefit their "buds".  The day he did the
rant and rave thing, I happened to see it live... and thought his acting was
a bit over the top...  I laughed pretty hard at that....

Absolutely, Fed is private, not gov't, a sub-contractors so to speak to
handle some things for the gov't and report to Congress on occassion.  Tied
to the families tied to the BOE. They are NOT concerned with the citizens,
only with the viability of the banking system itself, only in avoiding
systemic risk...  And the idiots in congress long ago gave them the power to
directly tax the people without Congress's persmissioin - contrary to the
constitution.

It's really hard to not be angry 24/7.................

Yes truly ominous....   You mentioned Zimbabwe the other day.  Gold can't be
bought at any price there,,, in zimbabwe currency.  That could very well
happen here, until the cleansing.  Not until the governments come up with
some type of currency that people can have CONfidence in.   That is what
makes the G-20 rumors interesting.

Oh, if you read the F*E*M*A stuff, I see those black helicopters flying
overhead here from time to time.  Can't say that makes me feel comfortable.