homestead - Re: [Homestead] Depression first?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Depression first?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:47:20 -0800 (PST)

I'm still working thru the rest of the radio show, but some of the terms
they're using, I haven't heard before.... so have to look some stuff up.

Oh and first, I want to thank you for one of your posts yesterday, a concept
you posted... has helped me very much understand something I was struggling
to understand, which leads into the below.

Yesterday, basically you posted along the lines that if the Fed prints the
same amount of money as asset destruction, there is no inflation, no
deflation.  At least that was my simplified interpretation, so correct me if
I got that wrong.  It was something I was wondering about a few months back.

Oh, and I should point out that these people were stating we were in a
recession publicly a year ago, and the gov't just now is just admitting to
it.  (They were using alternative metrics to come up with that conclusion,
not the standard 2 qtrs of negative GDP measurement.)

Clearly they think we are in a depression now, because of the extraordinary
tactics Bernanke & Gangsters are using.

Asset deflation (with the exception of Treasuries), is of course key also.

There's no arguing we've had asset deflation, and there is more to come.  For
example, statistically under cyclically theory etc. after a decent bounce up
in the stock market, we should see another 45% down in that class of asset.
Which would be quite similar to the 1929-1932 drop of some 90%.

In the 30s, real estate dropped some 90% in Chicago (according to my deceased
grandfather).

Gold & other commodities, also dropped significantly (I loaned my book out,
so I can't get the stats right this sec...but signficant.)

Today, stock market down 45%, real estate down 10-40% depending on local
area.  Oil down some 70%,,, and probably similar with other commodities.

Gold priced in USDollars is down only about 30%... in other currencies it is
down only fractionally or is actually higher than when gold was $1k.

So we have some parallels that would suggest that we are about 1/2 down the
slip and slide... if history repeats.

Again, back to Bernanke.... his claim to fame is his work on the Great
Depression and his "no depression on my watch" moto....  you have to chuckle
at the irony of the below data....

Last year, I think in August (possibly October) Cramer did an incredible rant
and rave on CNBC claiming the Fed had no idea what they were doing... if you
missed it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPtCmdFCrc

That very weekend the Fed met with Wall Street, who promptly told him that
Wall Street was about to go into a meltdown, and wallah,,,, Bernanke pulls
out his let's-prevent-a-depression game book.

So far that includes the $8.5 Trillion and rising higher B-52 bomber plan,,,

So far, there is the appearance that he is not printing enough money fast
enough because asset prices are falling and falling fast.

$85. Trillion is a lot of zeros and still isn't enough to stop asset prices
from falling??? !!!

First - That simply spells a whole lot of more money printing.

What I haven't finished up is the reviewing and making notes on the rest of
this program... but there is a section that talks about the how the Fed has
been injection all this money into the banks to repair their balance sheets
so the banks will start lending again - so the economy can get a foothold
again.  It isn't working because the banks are hoarding that cash.... Which
begs the question of how much worse the banks balance sheets really are....
or if they are just hoarding and convincing the Fed to issue more free money
and waiting for the right time to deploy....

Anyway, it seems since the bankers won't play in the sandbox the Fed way, the
Fed is going to by-pass the banks, and start monetizing the debt directly,
which is the part I need to re-listen to and look up some phrases I haven't
heard before.

One way or another the Fed is going to get all this money into the system, no
doubt about it, they are going to do it by force thru monetization.    If
they guessed wrong about the banks' playing ball with them.... how can we be
sure they will not overestimate the number of monetized debt dollars to
inject without triggering a hyper-inflation?

No matter what though, ALL the dollars they are creating will be getting into
our economy and causing inflation at some point.

Bernanke has a reputation to keep,,, no depression on his watch.   It took
them a year to admit we've been in a recession.  Will they ever admit to a
depression?

Bernake in a speech he gave on Milton Friedman's 90th birthday pointed out
that the reason the Great Depression lastest so long in the US compared to
other countries is that we stayed on a gold standard and did not flood the
market with liquidity.  His reponse, flooding the market with liquidity, has
always been a given..... He's either going to get it right (no inflation), or
get it wrong --- inflation, maybe hyperinflation.

Again, that gold backwardation in the futures market tells a big story about
people who are smarter than I am for sure.  Technically, gold is not and has
not yet been in a bubble.  Price would have to rise some 1800% - 2400% before
it gets to a potential bubble stratosphere. (It's a historical - statistical
thing on bubbles...)  The problem is that, we don't really know where we
should start that climb from, because of 35 years of gold manipulation by
central bankers around the world (GATA work).

I would guess that they will try to avoid admitting anything about a
depression publicly, and err towards inflation........... and it looks like
it is really going to be a doozey....

It takes time for monetary inflation to work its way thru the system....
apparently it is too much time for the Fed, since they are going to by-pass
the banks since the banks are hoarding...

I'm thinking it is likely we will either have a short-lived depression,
(admitted to or not), and then the inflation game starts.  Cyclically, gold
is still on schedule to rise next year.  How far depends on that M1 Bernanke
is showering down on us.