homestead - Re: [Homestead] Depression first?

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Depression first?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 18:48:24 -0800 (PST)

My replies are within, marked by asteriks

--- On Sun, 12/7/08, Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why am I so interested in what?  The economy in general? Or a specific?

****** Economics in general, and especially 'cycles'

It all started w/Rand, and then
> Howard Ruff, who you've probably heard, of some 30 years
> ago.... and then in the O.R. when the docs used to try to

Actually, Ruff proposed something back then that I thought
> was excellent advice - I was probably all of 21 years old
> back then.  He promoted having 1 year supplies on hand for
> emergencies (loss of job, illness, natural disaster, etc),
> plus 1 year of gold/silver, especially used silver bags of
> coins, which are still lender tender.  His advise on 1 year
> of supplies (food, etc) actually got me thru H. Andrew.  We

****** Howard Ruff is a long -time gold bug. He must be old as h*ll, by now.
The one-year of supplies, food, gold stuff goes to Ruff's religion. He is
Mormon (as are several members of this list)

  Can you imagine oil in permanent
> backwardation?

***** Oil can't be in 'permanent' backwardation, neither can gold, without
this turning into something that would make 'Mad Max' look calm. The fact
that gold has never before gone into 'any' backwardation, in history, is the
warning bell

****** Angry, flabbergasted and stupefied...................

> Yes truly ominous....   You mentioned Zimbabwe the other
> day.  Gold can't be bought at any price there,,, in
> zimbabwe currency.  That could very well happen here, until
> the cleansing.  Not until the governments come up with some

***** I referred to the bacwardation of gold presenting the 'possibility' of
James' scenario of a global Zimbabwe. Incidentally, James is the one for you
to listen to , as well as others on the list; much more than me.

I'm still finding my way. James' way is done. You are already on your
homestead, like them. I really enjoy these conversations, but never confuse
my knowledge of theory with the real-world application of James, Susan, Lynn,
Rob in VA, and many others...............

> Oh, if you read the F*E*M*A stuff, I see those black
> helicopters flying overhead here from time to time.
> Can't say that makes me feel comfortable.

**** I don't know you well enough to know if the Black helicopter comment is
humor