homestead - [Homestead] Economic 'sit - in'

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Economic 'sit - in'
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:03:35 -0800 (PST)

I really don't know what to make of this except I think these people are
wasting their time. Evidently this is the first 'sit-in' of a closing
business, since the 1930s, according to this article

Idled workers occupy factory in Chicago

Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 4 mins ago CHICAGO

– Workers laid off from their jobs at a factory have occupied the building
and are demanding assurances they'll get severance and vacation pay that they
say they are owed.

About 200 employees of Republic Windows and Doors began their sit-in Friday,
the last scheduled day of the plant's operation.

Leah Fried, an organizer with the United Electrical Workers, said the
Chicago-based vinyl window manufacturer failed to give 60 days' notice
required by law before shutting down.

Workers also were angered when company officials didn't show up for a meeting
Friday that had been arranged by U.S. Rep Luis Gutierrez, a Chicago Democrat,
she said.

During the peaceful takeover, workers have been shoveling snow and cleaning
the building, Fried said.

"We're doing something we haven't since the 1930s, so we're trying to make it
work," Fried said.

Union officials said another meeting with the company is scheduled for Monday.

Representatives of Republic Windows did not immediately respond Saturday to
calls and e-mails seeking comment.

Police spokeswoman Laura Kubiak said authorities were aware of the situation
and officers were patrolling the area.

Crain's Chicago Business reported that the company's monthly sales had fallen
to $2.9 million from $4 million during the past month. In a memo to the
union, obtained by the business journal, Republic CEO Rich Gillman said the
company had "no choice but to shut our doors."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/ap_on_re_us/workers_takeover