homestead - [Homestead] Tractor update

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tractor update
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:08:25 -0500

Well, we bit the bullet and bought the John Deere 750 tractor. We negotiated
and paid $4900 (they had asked $5800). They delivered it to us (on their
dime) and put it in the barn.

If we don't like it for some reason, two friends of ours separately told us
(jokingly) that they'd buy it or that we could sell it around here and get
back what we paid for it. A third friend who knows something about tractors
told us that he thought it was a good deal.

At any rate, we can take care of our driveway from now on and that in itself
is almost priceless (to steal from an ad campaign). Heck, we might even save
money. After my husband recently bush hogged two-thirds of the front field
(three acres at a slight incline) with a push mower, he needed two
treatments with the accupuncturist on his wrist, shoulder & back to function
without pain and to stay upright.

Additionally, my dear husband has less reason to complain about our
homestead since it will be easier to maintain the fields and haul in wood.
It should take far less time (not to mention energy!), which will, more
importantly, leave him more time to play the guitar. Now if the tractor
could just prune the fruit trees....

Lisa
sw VA