homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor update

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor update
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:34:36 -0500

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'd rather borrow it to fix my driveway, redig my woodland pond, move a
> couple of dirt piles out of my pasture, clear the forest service logging
> road for a firebrake, etc. etc. etc.

Yes. We have a mulch pile to be moved, just thought of that. Leftover mulch
from this summer that could be put elsewhere.

> The magic gadget that saved us injury was the hydraulic woodsplitter. I
> totally understand. The things that absolutely have to be done with a
> tractor here(bushhogging, driveway, etc.) we hire out or trade out, but
> a long of stuff goes undone. I can think of a dozen things I would do
> with a tractor that I would never ask anyone else to do.

We had been hiring it out as well, but at $400 a pop once or twice a year,
it won't take too many years for this tractor to pay for itself. (Heck, we
usually don't even bother doing the upper field, but now we can reclaim it.)
This last few times we were too cheap--er, frugal--to fork over the money,
so Scott decided to bush hog the fields with the push mower which resulted
in two trips to the accupuncture guy at $75 a pop. No kidding. A few years
ago we paid someone $50 to plow the driveway. Had we bought a similar
tractor 8 years ago, it would have paid for itself.

lkvp