homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:58:52 -0500

I'd bet if you bought knives, shovels, guns, rope, duct tape, etc. you
would end up in some FBI database somewhere.

The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it is. I bought duct tape just the other day. They don't sell guns at the Do It, but I could have bought rope, shovels, and a box cutter. They would have smiled and told me to have a good day. Their cash register doesn't even itemize what was purchased, just the price. Absolutely no record of who purchased what, even if you use a credit card. How could I possibly end up on an FBI database for that? Do you seriously think the FBI cares about my grocery shopping habits? I'm sure they have better things to worry about. Do you think 'they' track every TV show and website for every person in the country? Or care what I watch (I don't know if that can be tracked on cable, anyway)? I have 2 TVs and 3 computers in my house alone. I know 'they' can scan email for things like Patriot Act and Homeland Security (gotta keep them busy).

Lynn Wigglesworth