homestead - Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:01:39 EST

> >James, Without that how do you know there is an underlying truth as
> opposed to an underlying myth?

Alas, Van Dell, the problem is that the scientific age has redefined the
words of our language. 'Know' now means 'verifiable by scientific inquiry'.
Likewise the meanin of 'truth' is now in our minds bound up in the likes of
double
blind studies.

And yet further 'myth' now means not verified by scientific inquiry.

A pity all that, because we have now limited ourselves to one tiny narrow
channel of knowing. A pity, I say, because I look at where a continuous line
of
scientific thinking, of scientific knowing, has gotten us. We are
(collecively) obese, moronic, sickly, and any "scientific" definition of
happiness is
dependent on things out of our control and ultimately not renewable.

So how do I know that a lot of my schtick is not myth. I don't. I highly
suspect it is. And that's good. It will lead me somewhere away from where
everyone else is heading and I'm pleased with that.

'Myth' (mythos) by the bye means 'a story'. I prefer my existence to be a
story, a poem, a song, or a dance rather than a formula.

James