homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:24:42 -0500

Well, it wasn't from spurring-no spurs.
I did not see the attack, and to be honest, I may be blaming an innocent
rooster. Last summer, I merged the two flocks, the new pullet hens
with the old hens, and within a week the turken was dead. I'm not sure,
really, if the rooster got him or something got into the pen, because
over the next couple of weeks, I took multiple losses from a hawk that I
saw take one bird, and a dog that I suspect made the hole in the fence.
The turken rooster was the first to die so I don't honestly know what
got him, whether it was rooster, hawk, or dog. He was just dead in the
moat, no overt sign of extreme violence like you would expect with a
dog. The dog took the birds out of the run through the hole, so I doubt
it was the dog. The turken rooster was bigger than some broad breasted
turkeys I've raised, so I suppose it could have been the hawk, but it
would seem to me that the hawk would have chosen easier pickin's than
the rooster. Anecdotal evidence that it was the new rooster is that
within 3 days of the death of the turken, the new rooster began crowing.
He had not ventured a crow until then, and in fact, he really did not
even look like a rooster at that time, so imagine my surprise when I
heard and then saw 'her' crow and mount another hen....lol..He has since
become very masculine, and since 100% of my eggs were fertilized, I know
he isn't shooting blanks. Since he was such a late bloomer, I was
actually worried that he might be a sterile hermaphrodite, but since I
had such a good hatching, obviously that was unfounded.

bob ford wrote:
That sounds like a cop show episode. Did the little rooster kill the
big rooster with his spurs?

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13