homestead - Re: [Homestead] Eggs are hatching-UPDATE

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Eggs are hatching-UPDATE
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:27:20 -0500

When we remodeled, we did away with our bathtub and now only have a shower! But yeah, bathtubs are great for that purpose. I have one out at the barn that I might set up for future use in chick raising.
I had an incubator and found that I did not use it much because the hens were setting. Not thinking about the future, I sold it when someone offered to buy it. Then, I lost my good broody hens to predators and eventually a good rooster, too. If I had had an incubator I could have scarfed up some eggs quickly and incubated them(eggs are fertile for up to 3 weeks after the rooster is removed, or so I'm told), but no, I had to buy more chicks, pay shipping, and like you already know because you have that magic 25 number, there is a minimum...so it's a small fortune. If you have enough broody hens, or few predators, not incubating makes more sense(that is, after all, why I sold my incubator to begin with), BUT, if you live in a high predator area, an incubator will pay for itself in a couple of hatches. That is my lesson anyway.
YMMV

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:
We bought ours through the mail as day old chicks and raised 26 of them in our guest bathtub on cheap beach towels (keeps them from mistaking bedding for food) with a light for warmth. However, we bought them in July, and by the time we'd backed the light off to 75 degrees, it was about 100 degrees in the coop. So we had to aircondition the coop! We learned that if you live in a hot climate you need to order your birds earlier. Since we don't eat the birds, just their eggs, it made sense for us not to invest in an incubator. We now hope to breed our own and let the broody hens rear the chicks when we need more.--Sage

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:00:36 -0800 (PST)