homestead - [Homestead] Eggs are hatching

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Eggs are hatching
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:23:08 -0500

It is day 20 of incubation, and I heard some chirping-not pipping, but
chirping..so I looked and I have 6 eggs (of 28 in the 'bator) hatching.
One chick has his beak all the way through and is chirping and breathing
air. The other five have just busted off part of the shell, but the
membrane still is intact. It has been 50 minutes since I first noticed
the chirping, and I haven't seen any change. I'm worried.
I have forgotten so much and it's been quite a number of years since I
hatched eggs in the house. Refresh my memory on how long this is
supposed to take, to go from breaking the shell to walking around?
I've misted and even though I don't have a way to measure humidity, I
think it is pretty high, in the 90's as I have condensation on the
hovabator window.
Bev, excited...
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda