homestead - Re: [Homestead] Eggs are hatching-UPDATE

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Eggs are hatching-UPDATE
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:56:31 -0500

For many breeds of chickens, instinct is gone. Many breeds just won't
go broody or sit on a nest at all. I do have some of the better breeds
for broodiness, but still, it is hit or miss on having a broody hen, and
much of it is a seasonal thing-this just isn't the right season for
natural broodiness, even if you have in your girls.. You can tell if a
hen is going broody because she will be continually sitting in the
nestbox for several days or more. She will eventually stop laying her
own eggs and incubate the eggs under her. To keep the eggs at or near
100 degrees and the right humidity, the hen must stay on the eggs pretty
much 24/7, getting off maybe only 15 minutes or so a day to eat and
drink for herself, and a really 'good' broody hen won't leave a nest
even for that. Generally, naturally, hens go broody in the Spring and
Summer, and raise their chicks when temps are warmer-ensures a higher
survival rate AND she can lead them around teach them what to eat, etc.
More bugs are available, more grass, etc. This time is year it would
be unnatural for a chicken to go broody, but I have seen it.
Some hens are so broody that it actually becomes a problem, and for the
health of the bird you have to break their broodiness.(I won't go into
that now)...so anyway, the short answer is that they won't do it
naturally this time of year.

bob ford wrote:
Okay, I'm confused. You already had hens and a rooster to fertilize
their eggs, and you've been stealing their eggs to hatch in an incubator. Why not just let the chickens hatch them naturally in their chicken nests. They wouldn't harm their own?