homestead - Re: [Homestead] Local chicken - 1/4 pound egg

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Local chicken - 1/4 pound egg
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:06:04 -0700

On Nov 22, 2008, at 11:30 AM, bob ford wrote:

I can't have chickens. My dog kills even slow pigeons.

You flirt with homesteading. Ease into it. Build a dog-proof chicken enclosure--double wall it if necessary. Good experience leading up to far more challenging country problems.

My last urban chicken enclosure was two-story with a ramp up which they went for food, water, laying nests--that level had hardware cloth floor. Bottom level had the dirt floor. Worked good.

Hens will love your grass clippings; give them to the ladies, unless you use poisons on it. Your neighbors will give you their kitchen waste. Clean out the bottom dirt from time to time for superior garden bed improvement.