homestead - Re: [Homestead] An Inconvenient Truth

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An Inconvenient Truth
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 05:28:18 -0800 (PST)

The problem with propaganda is the problem of the fable of 'the little boy
who cried wolf'. I agree that we should conserve resources and protect the
environment. I have been trying my part for a long time. But , there are
trade-offs.

How many millions of small children should die to balance out the good for
the bird population (DDT/Malaria)? How many forests should burn for one
misguided group's misfired efforts to save one of a bird's species habitat
(mexican spotted owl)? Should we burn more wood to keep warm (more hard
pollution) or build more nuclear power plants (*clean*
energy?) to provide heat for homes? All of these are real decisions that have
been made and will be made , again.

There will be decisions based on propaganda that actually hurt the causes
that the propaganda purports to support. We should have people of reason
explaining things of such importance; not zealots and ideologues. Else, it
is just a fad, with no lasting consequences ......my opinion .......bobford

p.s. Calling sensationalized guesswork "documentary" was a big part of this
specific problem