homestead - Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cash smart cardsfortransporta...

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cash smart cardsfortransporta...
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:40:50 EST

> >You are very intelligent, and post graduate degreed. You are very well
> read, 'and' concerned. But, you are doing 'what' about it, the loss of
> your
> rights and privacy -- and that of your children?

Bob, on other fora I often get the line about "reclusing oneself out there in
the mountains and not caring about the rest of the world". While that is
largely correct in my case, there is a thing about freedom. It is like the
OP
heritage seeds about which we are all concerned. If no one grows them, they
will die out. It is more important to actually grow them, perpeturate them,
keep
them actually alive than it is to talk about it, write congress about it,
raise awareness about it or anything else.

Exactly like that, the one single most important thing about freedom is that
for it to survive, it has to be lived.

Bob, Lynn's life (if you don't mind me pontificating, Lynn) is wrapped up in
soil, water, animals, grass, crops, the weather, and as she becomes more and
more successful, the tentacles of Washington become weaker and weaker. Your
life (if you odn't mind me pontificating, Bob) is more concerned with bank
accounts, holdings, and blips on a computer. The rapid erosion of privacy
is much
more with those latter things than the former, and so it is natural that you
would be far more concerned about said erosion than we backwater types. It's
a matter, says I, of whether your hopes lie in diverting the flood of
compromise of such "privacy" or whether your hopes lie in stepping aside out
of its
way.

That is, just this morning we've been inventorying the stash of corn we
grew, the caches and bins of potatoes, how many pumpkins we have to eat, the
quantity of lumber we bartered for, and which of the dead trees we are going
fell for some big chunk wood for these cooler days. While someone may have
access to the amounts in my bank accounts (and, believe me, it's a short
read!) and
what vehicles and other assets are in my name, they have no notion as to the
things listed above and no way of finding out about them. As far as the
things that really matter to my life and economy, I live in perfect privacy.

So as to the notion that someone intelligent an educated is cloistered away
on a farmstead and not chaning and influencing things, nothing could be
farther
from the case. It is on farmsteads that that intelligence and education is
best applied because if freedom is not lived, it cannot endure.

James