homestead - Re: [Homestead] Greens, plants, seeds - winter garden done

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Greens, plants, seeds - winter garden done
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:38:58 -0500

Bob, I'm totally confused by your gardening. I know Phoenix has it's
own unique climate, but you are growing tomatoes in the 'winter' and
now greens, but it would still seem too warm for greens? What are your
day and night temps for now, next month, and January?
Usually people plant tomatoes with peppers, same time..planted similar
times, transplanted similar, etc.

OK, so here is my seed story..
We are at Home Deposit yesterday and I saw a rack of vegetable seeds.
Since I needed some chard, lettuces, peas and other stuff, I starting
grabbing packets. A clerk walked by and I asked her if the seeds were
on sale because they were packed for 2008 and it was late November.
-No'mam those are winter seeds, they are $1.59
I say but the seeds are a year old
-Maam(exasperated at me like I am the stupid one)We just put these seeds
out last week-they aren't old- these seeds are for winter crops like
broccoli and things like fennel(???) (She could see the pack of fennel
seeds in my hands..lol)
I say, well, yes, broccoli is a 'winter' crop, technically spring and
fall, but to be growing it now, I would have needed these seeds last July.
At that, I walked off with my $1.59/packet seeds from Ferry Morse.

I left the store with a bunch of lettuce seeds, some Red Cored
Chantenary carrots seeds, swiss chard, Wando peas, Lil Marvel peas, Snow
peas, broccoli (de ciccio), and of course, the fennel, which I have
never grown, but wanted to try next year. We'll see how much food I can
put on the table for $12 of old seeds.

Bev

bob ford wrote:
I forgot to mention that a few weeks back I threw some vine type kentucky green bean seeds in some compost. A few grew (and a couple of cucumbwers , too). I transplanted the small bean plants (maybe 6 " with 2-3 leaves each. To sunnier spots. I know they are not winter plants, but what the h*ll, this is phoenix, you never know...........bobford

p.s. My wife is planting sweetpeas and other winter coloir plants today. Flowers are also nice............bf