homestead - Re: [Homestead] Worse than the Great Depression

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Worse than the Great Depression
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:21:58 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
Speaking of that, no one on this list ever addressed my >Africa
post. Why?

I just went back and reread it. Much of your Africa post is another
area where we differ. I don't think we have an obligation or right to
stop Islamic fundimentalism. We have no more right to interfer with
religious beliefs in other countries than we do here. Countries like
Iran have a right to block out foreigners and believe whatever they
want. If they use terrorism in our country, we have a right to act
against those terrorists, like any other criminals.

Perhaps you mistook my ponderings for beliefs. I don't have a belief
set on this just yet, that is why I was doing this exercise, to develop
my own ideas. Near the end I know I wrote in such a way that might have
made you think otherwise, kind of playing devil's advocate, but I assure
you, my personal "stance" on Africa changes with the wind and I simply
don't have any answers. If you pin me down, I will actually agree with
you and say we don't have a right to interfere in the fundamentalism
struggles, but I mentioned it heavily because our government almost
always takes that tack and view that we should be there because..yada
yada. As a Libertarian, my views can seem hard hearted, some really
don't think we should be sending money at all, so even with humanitarian
issues, my view is not fixed. With so many issues on that continent,
if we don't have a set policy, a set of distinct and clear rules to play
by-a vision and purpose for our involvement, then we will definitely do
more harm than good with any interference.

As for Obama's plans, many of the things you mentioned were old, and
who knows how they will change in the new financial situation.
Personally, I don't see how we can give financial aid to anyone...it
would be like me donating money to Save the Whales, then defaulting
on my mortgage because I don't have money.

I got it straight off the website. I looked no further than
OnTheIssues. From a fiscal standpoint, your statements make a lot of
sense, and agree with my Libertarian nature.

A gathering of U.S. foreign policy experts, observers and diplomats
has heard that American policy toward Africa will remain more or less
constant, regardless of who wins the November 4 presidential
election. VOA's Peter Heinlein in Addis Ababa reports strong evidence
was presented to support the thesis that a President Obama might be
tougher on Africa than a President McCain.

With Obama's own African connections, I tend to believe he will give it
more importance on the world radar than Bush has(and Bush did do well by
Africa) and definitely a higher priority than McCain would have. I just
hope we can stick to whatever 'policy' towards Africa we actually have.
I also hope that it is just and that it will make sense for the long term.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda