homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crimson Clover, cover crops

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crimson Clover, cover crops
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:24:15 -0500

Rob; It's always a nice surprise when a plan comes together. Are both fields going to be pasture or do you rotate them to be pasture/field crops? My pastures are all permanent, and over the years I've tried overseeding with various forage seeds..one year I tried Newman Turner's suggested seed mix (he was a British pasture expert). His mix is similar, I think to Salatin's 'salad bar' pasture...lots of deep-rooted perennials. Some of the seeds took, some didn't, but I have a nice, diverse pasture now. With my new fence, I have 35 acres fenced, but only about 10 acres is nice pasture...the rest is wooded/brambles with some grassy spots. I've cleared some of the brambles with a brush hog, but it's a lot of work. I've been thinking about getting goats to help clear the brambles so I can have more grass (the sheep are too scared to go into the woods...what a bunch of wusses). My goal is to have enough pasture so I only need hay when there is too much snow to graze, and I'm hoping I can make that much hay myself so I don't have to buy any.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>