homestead - [Homestead] What I Do, just in case

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] What I Do, just in case
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:59:13 -0500

Cathy, all,
One of the things I do, just for recording purposes is to take pictures
of everything. I first did this with a video camera, now I have done it
with a digital camera. You walk around your property and photograph
things. Try to do it once a year. If on video, you can say, I got that
whatever back in 1975 from my grandmother, yada yada. You can even
record model and serial numbers on film for things like TV's, computers,
etc. Open your cabinets, show off your dishes and valuables, your
record collection, your bookcases, jewelry, anything of value, both
actual and sentimental. Cathy's cookbook (and I am sorry if I am
putting words in your mouth, Cathy) is a good example of an everyday
thing that we all value, but wouldn't think of saving in the middle of
the night or whatever.
Then, take the video make a copy, and put it in a safe place, not in
your home. I have some old, treasured, family photos. They are not
kept in the house. They are in the safe deposit box along with copies
of videos, photo negatives, etc.
If you take the time to do this, it will save you time later if you are
robbed or you experience a tragic act of man or nature.

Bev

Cathy wrote:
Thanks, Bev. The one I'm looking for is not illustrated. It's very
much like Joy of Cooking.

The fire was a bummer, to be sure, but we were insured and managed to
come out the other side of the ordeal better off. Stuff is just
stuff; our only loss was our dear newly adopted terrier mix, Max. We
weren't home at the time, so there was no fear trama for the kids and
no watching our house be destroyed.

I'm still wishing for that cookbook though. Great basic recipes for everything and some of my favorite canning recipes.

Cathy

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>