homestead - Re: [Homestead] Corn, was Seed stash

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Corn, was Seed stash
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:11:40 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; some of the heirloom varieties of corn have stalks like tree
turnks, and are deeply rooted. You could also consider a
windbreak...a wattle fence, maybe, on the windy side of the garden? I
always wanted to build a wattle fence, but haven't gotten around to
it yet. I'm also planting (slowly as I get the $$) a hedgerow of
unusual berry bushes (honey berries, service berries, next spring I
want to add nanking cherries); that would also be a good windbreak.

Lynn Wigglesworth

I've been working on the windbreak idea. The barn provides a break to
the northwest, and the new wood shelter we made provides a break to the
west, but I planted my apple trees along the western side, too.
It does seem to be getting better, but I think the problem is that the
terrain just funnels the wind through the garden area. It's a good
thing because air circulation is good to prevent disease and help
pollination, but I have watched the ridges to the west of me break up a
thunderstorm, and a collapsing storm makes downburst and straightline
winds. Generally they aren't strong enough to damage structures, but it
takes a toll on tall things in the garden, i.e. corn, sunflowers,
sorghum, etc.
My blueberries are on the wsw side, and I just planted two small hedges
of bush cherries(hansen and nanking<g>) to the north and south. Those
bush cherries are awesome, Lynn. I got cherries the first year. This
year, I let one hedge grow up and become a beetle trap and bird food,
while I took care of the other hedge. I did not get enough to make
cherry jam, but it was great snacking.
When I was pulling all of that muscadine out of the trees, I actually
thought about making a wattle fence, but not for corn. I was thinking
of making one to protect a banana tree. I did buy a banana this past
Spring, but it died...too much wind damage and drought. I may actually
try it again next year, time permitting.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda