homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious issues

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious issues
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:04:17 EST

> >I don't think the world
> economy is going to crash. I don't think the USA is going to go
> bankrupt. I certainly might be wrong.

No. I don't think you're wrong in that. Although it might in the end depend
on what the defintion of "crash" is. We have to transcend into an economy, a
form of capitalism, that does not depend on growth to exist. We can do that
the hard way or the very hard way. But the world marketing and trafficking
isn't going to come to a Kuntslerian sudden halt (as in "World Made by
Hand").
How-some-ever, it is going to change drastically.

> >I always seek balance. Right now I seek the best balance between what
> is and what might be.

I wish you'd expound on what "balance" means in the context, I have a hard
time applying the concept. There are things we can know fairly for sure.
One
of Scott Nearing's diatribes begins, "With a certainty, a turnip seed will
produce a turnip, and an onion seed will produce an onion ... given the right
care
and right circumstances."

Other than that, thinks I, one has to keep oneself in a stance to make the
most of whatever circumstances present themselves. But a clue as to what is
likely to happen is a powerful tool. Storm clouds are on the horizon and I
smell
rain in the air. So I'm not going to hang out the wash and I'm going to make
sure the axe and saw are oiled and put away. And at the same time I will
keep an eye on the sky for signs of change.

> >I asked Don and I will ask you: do you know of other lists where I
> might be more comfortable?

Most of the lists (and blogs) where I get the best info and the cleverest
insights are pretty grim. I read a lot of blather saying that the present
woes
are going to blow over, and quickly, but when those posits are questioned, it
is almost Sara Palin like "Gosh, darn, if we all just smile and keep a good
attitude, that old dollar will be sound again in no time!"

The other homesteading lists I'm on are different from this one in that they
are about homesteading whereas this one is more about homesteaders.

James