homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious issues

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious issues
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 20:48:35 EST

> >So does anyone have an answer to what I might use for toilet paper when I
> do not have the gas or money to get to the store to buy some??

The rest of the world uses water. When someone excuses themselves for the
necessary, they take a small jar of water with them.

>> What about tooth paste, right now I make my own from baking soda and salt
> but I can't provide either of those ingredients on my homestead. Ideas???

This from a dentist and I thoroughly checked it out and it seems it is so.
Toothpaste is only for mouth feel only, it doesn't actually contribute much
cleaning your teeth. The process of cleaning teeth (to remove the bacteria
that cause decay) is purely mechanical. It is the action of the bristles and
floss that does it, not the toothpaste.

>> . Question for James, without a certain amount of cash dollars how would
> you pay your property taxes as you reach your older years?

As you know, living only two counties over, property taxes aren't very high
here abouts. Mine in Sullivan Co are probably higher than yours in Greene.
First, what I do for cash, I could do in a wheelchair, nearly blind, drooling
on
the projects, etc. I don't need to quit just because I'll be old, even very
old. My father is still doing similar work.

Moreover, it is my hope as I get very along in years to abandon this house to
one of my children (and I've got an indecent number of them) and move to a
very small cottage on the place --- a cottage I have envisioned as so small
you
can lift the latch on the front door, lift the latch on the back door, and
all
they while not have to get up from the fire. My chidren are very
enterprising. Today one of my daughters (13) made more money than I have in
a month!
(Seling custom made saddle covers [which, of course, she designs and makes]).

Some day I will look wistfully at the sunset and say to all and sundry, "I
shall diminish, and go into the west..... ha! ... I've always wanted to say
that!"

James