homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grassfire - the group rebecca mentioned

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grassfire - the group rebecca mentioned
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 14:19:35 -0800

> I always wondered why the right didn't have a group like this. I figured
> it was because most computer saavy young people were still democrats.
> Obviouysly this group would not be a fit for me, but all legitimate
> activism is good, I suppose......bobford

It was interesting looking through what SourceWatch.org (a progressive group
itself) had on both MoveOn and Grassfire. Grassfire was positioned as a
rightwing MoveOn, but it doesn't look like it took off quite like MoveOn did.
I used to have bookmarked another group similar to SourceWatch that was
completely nonpartisan in its assessments, but it got lost in a series of
computer crashes last year. I'll have to take time to hunt it down again.

I first noticed the ad for Grassfire on Drudge. I've seen it pop up here and
there in other spots on the net. I suspect it may see an upswing in
membership, as there are a lot of people completely convinced that Obama is
going to change things literally overnight (people like the guy I collided
with yesterday). Having helped the spouse work on a number of local, state,
and federal campaigns, it's my observation that NOTHING changes overnight or
even in a year unless there's an overwhelming groundswell of support behind
it, and even then it doesn't always happen if the politician(s) decide there
are better methods of handling things that won't end up with the politician
losing his/her head for taking a stand (THAT can be frustrating).

I do have to add that most politicians pay attention to the letters and calls
they get from constituents, and they do make their decisions on the feedback
they get (SO WRITE those letters and make those calls, the squeaky wheels do
get the grease). The really good politicians take the time to explain to you
why they make decisions that a good number of their constituents may not
agree with, and they don't hesitate to offer more sources of information...

-Rebecca in the great Northwest