homestead - Re: [Homestead] The longest post yet-Anger

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The longest post yet-Anger
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:16:07 -0500

There is a generational preference, I think.

SJC wrote:
And, at that, I've lived long enough to watch that change over time.

A couple of days ago there was on NPR an interview with an Atlanta resident, I believe it was, who is something like 106 years old. She is black, by reporter's statement, but I noticed that when she herself spoke she was talking about "the negro people".
When I first went to Fort Wayne where there is (well, was, haven't been there for a long time) high population of blacks, I simply asked (shows you what a hick I was, but midwesterners tend to be direct) a fellow student, black, how she preferred to be referred to regarding her skin color and was told "We like to be called negro, because that's what we are.". That would have been about 1961. She and I are still good friends.

Times change faster than I do a lot of the time.

SusanJane, in Maine

DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:
Absolutely. That is primarily how they refer to themselves, I hear it every single day. Drew

And, at that, things change over time.

A couple of days ago there was on NPR an interview with an Atlanta resident, I believe it was, who is something like 106 years old. She is black, by reporter's statement, but I noticed that when she herself spoke she was talking about "the negro people". I did not hear her refer once to a "black" population.