homestead - Re: [Homestead] and now for something completely different: CRABAPPLES!!!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] and now for something completely different: CRABAPPLES!!!
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:06:23 -0500

Yeah, I believe that they are higher in pectin than regular apples, so making pectin is a great idea.

SJC wrote:
Rebecca Lewinski wrote:
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH CRABAPPLES???
Enjoy when in bloom, juice (mixed with overly-sweet juices for the tartness it adds), jelly, make own pectin, sauce, poached (in something sweet, we use wine, with cinnamon stick added), add to regular apple butter so it's not sickly-sweet and to thicken it if it's slow to thicken, some use them for cider.

SusanJane, in Maine