homestead - Re: [Homestead] and now for something completely different: CRABAPPLES!!!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] and now for something completely different: CRABAPPLES!!!
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:56:52 -0500

Rebecca Lewinski wrote:
hi all, haven't posted anything here since last spring <snip>
Thought I'd introduce something other than politics, so here goes.

I am so proud of you, it's not everyday that infrequent poster steps in and calls a timeout! Yeah Rebecca!

I made like a bee last spring and handpollinated a lot of our fruit
trees, since our local bees were few in number and pretty sluggish
(I'm hoping my newly-installed mason bees will take over next year).
Since no good deed goes unpunished, I was rewarded with a bumper crop
of all sorts of fruit, which I either canned or took to the local
food bank. One of the trees turned out to be a crabapple which is
now rewarding me with a few boxes of fruit. I'm trying out making
crabapple liquer with some of them and I pickled a bunch, but I still
have dozens of pounds of fruit left.

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH CRABAPPLES???

I need ideas! Points for silliness, in addition to usefulness.

Sell them to people who hunt on feed plots.
Make Jelly..
Cider vinegar?? I would think you could make it from crabapples just as easy as from regular apples..

off to start another batch of crabapple likker...

Send me some...I don't normally drink, but I think I need one today.

-Rebecca in the great NorthWet (we're expecting a deluge tonight on
top of all the rain we've had this week)

LOL, I like that..

**speaking of the economic
crisis, I highly recommend a daily visit to George Ure's website,
UrbanSurvival. I've been following him for two years now and his
advice is spot-on. He's in cahoots with some guys in Olympia, WA,
who devised a "predictive linguistics" software program. It sounds
like voodoo, but they get pretty good information out of it, and it
helps to have a headsup. It saved our 401K...

I've heard of that, amazing meld of art and science..love it.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda