homestead - Re: [Homestead] and now for something completely different: CRABAPPLES!!!

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] and now for something completely different: CRABAPPLES!!!
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 01:26:23 -0500

My mom made fruit leather out of them.

Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:09 am

hi all,
haven't posted anything here since last spring when I was trying to put in a
raised garden bed using strawbales. Spouse was being excessively obstructive
so
I gave up for this year. I'm still plotting on getting that raised bed in
before next spring though, and I'm subversively getting my neighbors on board
for getting their own gardens in for next year (I do believe we will all be
needing them, as the current economic crisis steamrolls along**).

Thought I'd introduce something other than politics, so here goes.

I made like a bee last spring and handpollinated a lot of our fruit trees,
since
our local bees were few in number and pretty sluggish (I'm hoping my
newly-installed mason bees will take over next year). Since no good deed
goes
unpunished, I was rewarded with a bumper crop of all sorts of fruit, which I
either canned or took to the local food bank. One of the trees turned out to
be
a crabapple which is now rewarding me with a few boxes of fruit. I'm trying
out
making crabapple liquer with some of them and I pickled a bunch, but I still
have dozens of pounds of fruit left.

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH CRABAPPLES???

I need ideas! Points for silliness, in addition to usefulness.

off to start another batch of crabapple likker...

-Rebecca in the great NorthWet (we're expecting a deluge tonight on top of
all
the rain we've had this week)
**speaking of the economic crisis, I highly recommend a daily visit to George
Ure's website, UrbanSurvival. I've been following him for two years now and
his
advice is spot-on. He's in cahoots with some guys in Olympia, WA, who
devised a
"predictive linguistics" software program. It sounds like voodoo, but they
get
pretty good information out of it, and it helps to have a headsup. It saved
our
401K...