homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beetle Invasion in N.E.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beetle Invasion in N.E.
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:58:15 -0700

On Nov 5, 2008, at 9:06 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

Diversity isn't just limited to species, but should
involve life stages as well.

Absolutely. A healthy eco-system includes species and age diversification. As in farming and gardening, mono-cropping is fraught with problems.

A friend, David Haenke, who manages a several-thousand-acre private forest, introduced me to Clint Trammel, who is Forest Manager for Pioneer Forest near Salem, Missouri. PF consists of about 160,000 acres, all owned by businessman, Leo Drey. For half a century PF foresters have been practicing a single-tree harvest practice. Opposite of normal logging, the practice takes out the worst trees and leaves the best, making sunlight, water and nutrients more available to the best trees, including mother trees that seed the floor. The practice thus continually upgrades the forest, making it ever more valuable.

David brought Clint to Heartwood some years ago to advise me before I did a modest amount of logging. Clint's knowledge is huge. It was a wonderful afternoon of keeping my mouth shut except to answer questions and mostly soak up information as fast as I could while we walked through the forest of Heartwood, a mere 130 acres of oak, pine, hickory and other valuable trees.

http://www.pioneerforest.com/index.php