homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who's Da Best

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who's Da Best
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 00:59:54 -0500

Marie McHarry wrote:

Bev, where were you going with the line of inquiry?

Marie

Nowhere really. I was just thinking about the election, and all the
presidents of my lifetime. (I was born under Kennedy) I included Ike
because I know many of you are older than me. I personally liked
Reagan, even though I was scared silly of him while he was president. I
always felt like he had his finger on the bomb...lol..he sure as hell
did not take any crap from anyone, did he? My first presidential
election was in 1980, and since it was all new and exciting to me, I
just wondered if I was alone in liking Reagan. I could have just been
biased as I kind of lost my voter virginity to him..lol Also, I know
Republicans think he is St. Ronnie(I do like that!), but I wondered how
Democrats felt. I got the impression that he did provide a unifying
factor in this country, the last president to really do that. I
honestly believe that had he been younger, and with no term limits, he
could have served 3 terms. I think the Bush presidency is testament to
that.
James really surprised me with Nixon, and I really like your assessment
of them all, too. I was in school during the Nixon years, and while I
do remember him, and Watergate, and the war, that's about all I
remember. I have no idea of his economic policies. I recall that he
opened up China..but that's it. Id be interested in learning more about
the guy. My last impression of that era was the nightly news with
Huntley and Brinkley, and the news ending with the body count. If you
have ever seen the Wonder Years, I could have been Kevin, because I was
his age during that time. I really, really related to that show.
There was one episode where Winnie's brother was killed in Vietnam. I
cried so hard during that episode, because I recalled when a neighbor
was killed and the neighborhood mourned. David was 6 years older than
me, and he had always been nice to me at the busstop, the place where I
got picked on alot...anyway..

Also, (now aren't you sorry you asked) I suppose I am thinking back to
the lawyer thing...
Eisenhower was military, not a lawyer
Kennedy wasn't a lawyer..in the military, but mostly a journalist
Johnson was a teacher, and in the military
Nixon was a lawyer, (but not a crook<g>)
Ford was a lawyer
Carter was a farmer and an engineer/military
Reagan, of course, was an actor
Bush, oil tycoon/military
Clinton was a lawyer
Bush, various businesses..lol/military

So basically, our only lawyers(recent) have been Nixon, Ford, and
Clinton. Our presidents are quite a varied bunch, I think. More have
been in the military, especially the Navy, than in law school, which may
be a harbinger for McCain..I dunno...just thinking about stuff and
wondered what everyone else thought.

Bev, what would you do if I sang out of tune, would you stand up and walk out on me? Give me your ear and I'll sing you a song, and I'll try not to sing out of key..I get by with a little help from my friends.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda