homestead - Re: [Homestead] sorghum

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sorghum
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 00:29:14 -0400

On Nov 1, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

Very little is better than Sorghum Molasses on fresh cornbread.... Early rollers were vertical and powered by a horse or mule

I remember seeing in the Carribbean (Saint Croix maybe) a museum sugar cane mill from the 1800's. It was run by wind, I think. The rollers were vertical, about three feet long. We were told that there would always be an axe handy to the foreman who watched the slaves feed the cane. In case of an arm getting caught in the rollers, a one armed slave was better than a dead one.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.