homestead - [Homestead] sorghum

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] sorghum
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:35:19 -0400

We have a rogue sorghum plant that comes up in our garden every year. Has anyone ever grown it and made their own molasses?

Where I grew up (west central IN) making molasses was a community activity like butchering or threshing or shelling peas.....

Basically the process was to macerate the plants (mules operated big rollers), press the macerated plants (mules again, big press), then boil down the sap in large flat pans over wood fires (kids to tend), very carefully, until enough water is out of it that it won't spoil. I don't know how they tested for that, but know that was the critical part that one old fellow in our neighborhood was in charge of. Couldn't quit until Elmer said it was done.

Then we filled all the crocks and jugs everybody had brought, had a giant feed, spent the rest of the day visiting. Go home to chore. Bed late.

SusanJane, in Maine