homestead - Re: [Homestead] sorghum

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sorghum
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:51:31 EDT

> >Would
> something like agave nectar be a good substitute, or would it change the
> tea's taste too much? I've seen the cans at the store.

Here is an oddity about the human body and human psyche. A person's chemical
make-up does not change, however his tastes are infinitely changeable.

What I mean is this, that much sugar is always bad for one's health. It will
wear out his indocrine system over time. And it doesn't much matter what the
form the carbs take, any form of sugar is just as bad. Sugar mimics like
stevia are not much better. Apparently we are finding out that when the
human
system tastes sweeteners, it assumes the sugar is there and the endocrine
system
acts accordingly. In many ways sweet mimics are more dagnersous than the
sugar itself.

You can't change your boichemistry.

But you CAN change your tastes.

Southern to ends of my toenails, I grew up having Southern iced tea, a
eumphemism for tea flavored syrup. One summer in my misspent youth I did
some work
for an elderly (they were probably all of 50, but I was 15 so they were
elderly) who were both diabetic. They had great frosty gallon glass jugs of
iced
tea but it was completely sans sugar. The first glass of that and I was
thinking, "Gag, choke, how do people drink this stuff!" But the weather was
hot and
the work was hard and it was the coldest thing available to drink. In the
next day it was tolerable and by the end of the week I craved the bitter
taste
that would cut right through the thirst in a hurry.

Since then I have never been able to abide sugar in tea, nor sweet taste of
any kind. It would be like putting sugar on green beans (although they do
that
in Georgia, yuck!), it just doesn't fit.

Since then I've issued the challenge to many a tea-syrup drinker. Go one
week without the sugar. No cheating and no half-measure, no cutting back on
the
sugar. Just proper tea brewed up. Gag it down.

You will invariably find that within a week, it's OK. Stick with it for a
couple of months and then get yourself a full strength big ol' glass of real
Southern tea-syrup and take a big gulp. You will gag and choke.

Tastes are infinitely variable. Your chemsitry is not.

James