homestead - [Homestead] Alas, Garden planning

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Alas, Garden planning
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:51:27 -0400

Today also marks my 10 year anniversary here at EarthNSky. We moved here on Halloween of 1998.
I know y'all probably think all I do is think and post about politics, but I really do have more going on than that. Currently, I'm planning for not only next year's garden, but for the next few years. I want to grow things for seed next year so that I will have fresher seed for the years beyond that.
This is really the first time I have intentionally planted seed for seed collection purposes as opposed to food purposes. I am kind of worried about crossing things, so I have to be careful. I want to grow multiple squashes, but I have to figure out exactly how to do that in a small area. I'll be growing lots of paste tomatoes as well. I indulged myself this year and grew slicers, but I think I should concentrate more on the paste types....more bang for the buck.
I've spoken offlist to James about corn and OP distancing and timing, and I think I now have a plan for my place on that. Thanks again, James.
What, if anything, are y'all doing for your 2010 garden and beyond?
--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda