homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rice

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rice
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:32:49 -0400

Yes, I have seen the Budweiser Rice Paddies in both LA and Arkansas. This is not what I envision for here, not even close..I am thinking of a small paddy in a low lying area, using a swimming pool(above ground metal sided type) to create a wetland, using a rainwater collection tank(300 ga) to fill the paddy. Of course, draining is easy.
That is of course, for wetland rice, which is what is grown in the US.

Dry land rice intrigues me, but I need to find out more about it.

bob ford wrote:
Have you ever seen the rice fields where the crawfish grow in South
Loisiana Bev., Those aren't little ventures. Can you really create
an artificial water area and grow plots of rice? ......bobford