homestead - Re: [Homestead] sleep apnea update

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sleep apnea update
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:52:04 -0600

Wow. I hope Ron is on his way to better health and both of you to a good night's sleep!--Sage

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:44:47 -0400
EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
Today, I've been cleaning house in anticipation of the arrival of the
medical staff who will come to set up the CPAP machine. We went to the
doc yesterday, and as expected it was bad. Ron has a RDI(Respiratory
Distress Index) of 97. That amounts to how many episodes of apnea there
are per hour. Anything over 30 is considered severe. They said Ron was
downright dangerous. I already knew that cuz I sleep with him, or
rather, try to sleep with him. I apparently suffer from spousal sleep
apnea syndrome or something like that.
Anyway, in six weeks, we have an appointment with a doc who will
probably take out his tonsils and adenoids as a starting point. When he
opens his mouth, I cannot even see his airway, which explains why he
also obstructs when he is awake and relaxed, like while watching TV.
Anyway, the CPAP machine therapy should reduce the soft tissue swelling
to allow for a proper surgical evaluation in 6 weeks.
Just an update..

Bev, who hopes to sleep better tonight, but probably won't.
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda