homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bad day ahead?

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bad day ahead?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:30:19 -0400

bob ford wrote:

> In other words, if the yen falls to seventy, I'd be worried enough to write
> an email asking if you wanted temporary renters . You would have to
> promise "no snow" of course, and my dog gets to watch tv in whatever chair
> she prefers (my wife can sit on the floor).

Hmm...err...the dome over my property isn't in this year's budget, I'm
afraid, so I can guarantee lots of snow. And ice. I have a picture of my
driveway from last year...the entire 200' of it is encased in about 2"
of ice. It was 3 days before I could get out. But the dogs always get
the good seats to watch TV.

If I didn't have kids at home, I'd consider renting rooms to people who
enthusiastically wanted to farm. I think a small group of people could
whip this place into a productive farm and share the profits. By myself,
I can barely keep it standing.

Honestly, though, it's hard for me to fathom all that stuff with the
yen. What will happen if the yen goes below 70? The world ends? I'm
obviously clueless about global finances. The economy in this area
hasn't been great for years; I keep looking around, but don't see
anything changing. Some rural areas, far from civilization, seem
somewhat insulated from world events, or maybe 'it' will just take
longer to hit here.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/